Friday, April 17, 2009

Flashback Friday: Easter 2007

2 years ago we were in St. George for Easter. It was Easton's very first Easter Egg Hunt experience and he did pretty good. It was such a fun trip! My favorite part of Easter at home is the tradition of coloring easter eggs with Grandma Frei. Now this isn't coloring eggs with a dye kit bought from the store . . . . this is the real thing. We collect dandelions, tiny flowers, and certain types of leaves and wrap them around the eggs with string. Once that is done we put them into a big pot of water and onion shells to cook. Grandma always keeps an eye on the eggs so I'm not sure how long they cook but when they are done you let them cool a bit and then unwrap them. The onion shells dye the egg a brown color but then there are patterns made by the leaves and flowers. The dandelions come out yellow and there is usually a little purple flower that will dye it purple as well. It is the neatest thing to see and do. That whole process also makes those eggs DELICIOUS to eat! When we were younger we used to take our eggs out to Snow Canyon to the sand dunes and "race" our eggs by rolling them down the hills. It was great fun!




8 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh! Baby Easton! :) Time flies!

Angie said...

Look at cute little Easton!
Those eggs sound fun. You will have to type that up one day and share how to do that with everyone. It sounds much more fun than the boring store bought kind that we used this year!

Sandie said...

That sounds like a fun Enrichment activity! I'm telling Aliese! Easton looks the same as now only taller.

Liz said...

That's how I remember Easton, it is crazy to think of him as a 3 year old! He is so cute!

Tia said...

That's how I remember him too. He's such a handsome little guy!

Erin said...

I just read about those "Swiss eggs" on Lainee's blog. So cool. I've never heard of that - must not have enough Santa Clara dutchman in me. :)

Cute pictures! I love your hair in the first one.

Whenever you get a second will you e-mail me about how to use the viewfinder? I promise I won't use it. :) I want to know how though for when I hand the camera to someone else to take our picture. Thanks Jess!

Alice said...

IS that Easton sitting by a dog? A cute dog? Why is he so scared of Conan and Junior??? That is a cute pic!

KayDee said...

Oh my heck time flys and Easton has changed so much.... I will be saying that about Saidee next year! That is a good piano song!! Those picture you took are really good. Do you do them in photo shop??