Saturday, January 23, 2010

Are you serious???

The other day Easton and I were outside doing some yardwork because it was a nice and toasty 68 degrees. Back in the spring I had planted 2 potato vines and a petunia in a planter pot in the front yard. For a while there, while the potato vines were still small, the petunia did wonderful and looked great. But then those vines started to double in size every other day or so until they covered a third of our flower bed in the front. I cut them back often (a haircut of sorts) to keep them under control. At one point someone pointed out that by cutting them back I was making them grow more.  ????? Anyway, we survived the growing season and they finally died off last month. The pot looked pretty ugly with a bunch of brown growth coming out of it so I decided to pull it out and clean up the pot. To my surprise and amazement, underneath the soil in the pot, we found a bunch of big "potato-like" bulb things. One of them was huge, about the size of a cantaloupe. I couldn't believe it! Since it is called a potato vine does that mean that potatoes will grow from it down underneath the soil? Was this some tidbit of common knowledge that I somehow missed out on learning? I was totally surprised. I'm sure there is someone sitting in Idaho right now laughing at me but I serioulsy didn't know. My neighbor came over to see them and then asked if I was going to cook them and eat them. Are you serious???? I don't think so!



2 comments:

Angie said...

That's funny! I would have no idea either. :)

Tia said...

68?! I'm moving.