Monday, March 21, 2011

Japan

Although we have been having a fun spring break and are still enjoying doing little projects around the house (I promise I will post some pictures as soon as I get a few more things done!!!), my heart continues to ache for the people in Japan. Some of the footage and pictures that I have seen are absolutely unbelievable! For them to not only get hit with the biggest earthquake in recorded Japan history but to have the tsunami AND the radiation threats is just heartbreaking.

I served my mission in Japan but was in Fukuoka, or the southern most part of Japan. Luckily no one I know was in harms way. I have loved hearing and reading of the reports coming out of Japan talking about how the Japanese people have such a sense of community pride and how they are so selfless and eager to help one another. I compare their reaction to the disaster to Katrina in the U.S. It is a night and day difference. The Japanese people are so humble. I wish there was something I could personally do to help but I guess I am limited to prayers.

I am however fortunate enough to be able to help a friend who has gone to Japan on his own dime to help out where he can. He is in Sendai (where the epicenter of the quake was) helping a NGO called CRASH. I get daily updates and pictures from him and then I, in turn, update his blog. It is neat to hear first hand of all of the good that is happening there. If you ever want to check it out you can find it here. http://www.michaelthemaven.com/

No comments: